This page includes the privacy information for both GSuite for Education & Seesaw.
Gsuite for Education
This notice describes the personal information we provide to Google for these accounts and how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information from students in connection with these accounts.
Using their G Suite for Education accounts, students may access and use the following “Core Services” offered by Google (described at https://gsuite.google.com/terms/user_features.html):
- Gmail (Disabled for Students of St. Josephs GNS)
- Chrome Sync
- Cloud Search
- Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms
- Hangouts, Hangouts Chat, Hangouts Meet, Google Talk
In addition, we also allow students to access certain other Google services with their G Suite for Education accounts. Specifically, your child under supervision of a teacher, may have access to the following “Additional Services”:
- YouTube, Blogger, Google Maps
Google provides information about the information it collects, as well as how it uses and discloses the information it collects from G Suite for Education accounts in its G Suite for Education Privacy Notice. You can read that notice online at https://gsuite.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html. You should review this information in its entirety, but below are answers to some common questions:
What personal information does Google collect?
When creating a student account, St. Josephs GNS may provide Google with certain personal information about the student, including, for example, a name, email address, and password. Google may also collect personal information directly from students, such as telephone number for account recovery or a profile photo added to the G Suite for Education account.
When a student uses Google services, Google also collects information based on the use of those services. This includes:
- device information, such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number;
- log information, including details of how a user used Google services, device event information, and the user’s Internet protocol (IP) address;
- location information, as determined by various technologies including IP address, GPS, and other sensors;
- unique application numbers, such as application version number; and
- cookies or similar technologies which are used to collect and store information about a browser or device, such as preferred language and other settings.
How does Google use this information?
In G Suite for Education Core Services, Google uses student personal information to provide, maintain, and protect the services. Google does not serve ads in the Core Services or use personal information collected in the Core Services for advertising purposes.
In Google Additional Services, Google uses the information collected from all Additional Services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect Google and its users. Google may also use this information to offer tailored content, such as more relevant search results. Google may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Google services.
Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
No. For G Suite for Education users in primary and secondary (K-12) schools, Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with an G Suite for Education Account) to target ads, whether in Core Services or in other Additional Services accessed while using an G Suite for Education account.
Can my child share information with others using the G Suite for Education account?
We may allow students to access Google services such as Google Docs and Sites, which include features where users can share information with others or publicly. When users share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines, including Google.
Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
Google will not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With parental or guardian consent. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google when it has parents’ consent (for users below the age of consent), which may be obtained through G Suite for Education schools.
- With Citywest ETNS G Suite for Education accounts, because they are school-managed accounts, give administrators access to information stored in them.
- For external processing. Google may provide personal information to affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for Google, based on Google’s instructions and in compliance with the G Suite for Education privacy notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- For legal reasons. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if it has a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, Google users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Google also shares non-personal information — such as trends about the use of its services — publicly and with its partners.
What choices do I have as a parent or guardian?
First, you can consent to the collection and use of your child’s information by Google. If you don’t provide your consent, we will not create a G Suite for Education account for your child, and Google will not collect or use your child’s information as described in this notice.
If you consent to your child’s use of G Suite for Education, you can access or request deletion of your child’s G Suite for Education account by contacting the school office. If you wish to stop any further collection or use of your child’s information, you can request that we use the service controls available to limit your child’s access to features or services, or delete your child’s account entirely. You and your child can also visit https://myaccount.google.com while signed in to the G Suite for Education account to view and manage the personal information and settings of the account.
What if I have more questions or would like to read further?
The Core G Suite for Education services are provided to us under Google’s Apps for Education agreement.
In addition to the above, we wish to share the resources listed below providing full information on GSuite for education privacy policies:
- Our G Suite for Education Privacy Notice describes how Google products and services collect and use information when used with G Suite for Education accounts.
- Information about the legal commitments Google makes for G Suite for Education Core and Additional Services is available in our Help Center.
- Information about how Google’s products work to protect privacy is available in our Product Privacy Guide
and at privacy.google.com. Note that Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with an G Suite for Education Account) to target ads for G Suite for Education users in primary and secondary (K–12) schools, and any statements about ads on those pages are overridden by this restriction from our Privacy Notice.
- Information about Google’s compliance with international legal obligations on data protection can be seen in the Data Processing Amendment to G Suite and/or Complementary Product Agreement, which describes extensive measures for data security that Google and its customers have agreed.
- Answers to many top questions about privacy and security appear on our Google for Education Privacy and Security Center.
Seesaw (http://seesaw.me), is a secure online journal where students can document and reflect on what they are learning in class and at home. Your child will be able to add the things we work on (including photos, videos, worksheets, drawings and voice recordings) to their Seesaw journal and we will be able to provide feedback.
In order for your child to use Seesaw, the app needs a log-in name to be able to associate work, like their photos, videos or voice recordings, with their account. We have supplied your child with their school GSuite log in details for their Seesaw account. Seesaw only uses this information to provide the service and doesn’t advertise in Seesaw, create profiles of students, or share or sell your child’s personal information or journal content. You can read more about their strong privacy promises here: